Lead-Based Paint and Lead-Contaminated Dust
Lead-contaminated dust is the most common source of lead exposure.
Lead-contaminated dust is created when lead-based paint in older homes chips, flakes and peels.
This dust can get on hands, toys, cloth, fabric and more around the house. Breathing in or swallowing lead-contaminated dust can cause many health problems.
Homes built before 1978 are more likely to have lead-based paint.
Lead was often added to paint used in homes built before 1978. In 1978, the federal government banned the use of lead-based paint in homes. The older the home, the more likely it is to have lead-based paint.
The most common places to find lead-contaminated dust from paint in older homes are:
- Exterior paint
- Places where remodeling or repair is occurring
- Where lead-painted surfaces scrape or rub together
The best way to prevent lead exposure in older homes is to stop the lead at the source. Hire a certified lead professional to help identify and remove lead from your home.