Precautions for Those Who Live in Older Homes
Lead may be present in older homes. You can take the following precautions to help reduce your family’s risk of lead exposure.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly before eating and assist young children in
washing their hands
- Eat whole foods with calcium, iron and vitamin C
- Use a vacuum with a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter when cleaning
- Remove your shoes when you enter your home to prevent the spread of
lead-contaminated soil indoors
- Use soapy water when you wash flat surfaces such as windowsills and tables and when you wash children’s toys
- Read more lead-safe cleaning tips
Even if you take these precautions, it’s still important to stop lead at the source and reduce your family’s risk of lead exposure!
Start with our simple 10-minute Lead Self Assessment to get recommendations for